Monday, September 12, 2011

Unity in Tragedy and Other Stuff

    Yesterday was the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks that shocked the nation and the world. I remember waking up in the morning and seeing it on tv. I remember going to school and standing up on the playground. I don't remember what exactly I was thinking. I remember being afraid to fly for the longest time after that. I also remember the posters that were put in our classrooms with pictures of the Twin Towers and the Pentagon that said "9/11 We will never forget". I was to young to understand the political implications of what had happened, but I've heard people talk of how we united. How people from all walks and styles came together as Americans for the first time in a long time.
......Then the feeling was gone. Bipartisanship returned and every person's opinion and beliefs were more important than the others'. "I'm right. You're wrong." "Global warming is bad." "Global warming doesn't exist." "Bush this" "Obama that" "War" "Money" If I could sum this up in one word, it would be *division*.
     Last night we caught a glimpse of what it was like 10 years ago, to be united. People came together to mourn and honor those who died in those fateful attacks. I was reading my home town paper article on the events held in their town. It read:
"Redlanders are divided on community and political issues, and sit separated on Sunday practicing different religions. But on this Patriot Day, rival high school choirs joined voices, representatives from almost every church in town gave a single invocation, Scouts from various troops marched in step, and a band that was open to all comers inspired 3,000 people to honor the fallen as one."
I am going to change what was said slightly to expand the view:
[Americans] are divided on community and political issues, and sit separated on Sunday practicing different religions[or no religion at all]. But on this Patriot Day, rival high school choirs joined voices, representatives from almost every church in town gave a single invocation, Scouts from various troops marched in step, and a band [...] inspired [many] people to honor the fallen as one. 
     Today we might think about what happened yesterday, but by the end of the week most will no longer think about what happened. We will have fallen once again into the trap that society would have us be in: a war between two sides where nobody wins.

     Each person is entitled to believe what they will, but we must not hate others because they believe differently from us. We must embrace those that see the world in a different light and try to combine these lights. A group of people once "were of one heart and one mind, and they dwelt in righteousness; and there was no poor among them." If we can't see eye to eye, there is no hope for us to be united. Unfortunately, it seems the only time we can see eye to eye is when a tragic event reaches us all.
     I am not the oldest or most wise person in the world, but I don't have to be. Even I can see that unless we come together, we will fall apart. "All for one and one for all." Some people say things are getting better while others say they are getting worse.
     The rifts that divide us can be bridged. It will take work from every person. I'm not perfect. I don't claim to be, but somebody needs to speak or nothing can happen. Disagree with me if you want, but unity is the best option.
Love others. Share a kind word or a smile. Life life the best way you can.

2 comments:

  1. I too remember where I was at on that day! And I remember watching it on the news and thinking that it was just an accident! Man was I wrong! It is sad to think that something like that had to happen in order to cause some unity in our country, even though that didn't last very long! I couldn't agree more with your insights at the end! It was very well put.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote on this topic too. It's a really important thing to me, just because my 2 best friends are in service academies!

    ReplyDelete