In 1997, Eyring addressed the students of Brigham Young University. He spoke about what it meant to be a "great learner". Eyring listed five qualities that make one a great learner. These qualities do not only make one a better learner, but they also help make one a better person. As children of God, we work to improve ourselves so that we might become closer to Him. One of the best ways to do this is to help others.
Eyring taught that great learners see that everyone they meet can teach them something new. It is when you are proud and refuse to learn from others because you are 'better than them' that you learn the least. Every person is a child of God. Each has a divine heritage and a unique character. Everybody has something that they can teach you. This may not be a direct lesson where they give you facts. It may be through your serving them that you come to a greater knowledge of a truth. By helping others, you give them a chance to grow and learn. When you help others, you are also opening up yourself to a learning opportunity.
We do not learn when we sit idly on the sidelines of life dawdling our time away. We must go out and take action. Help others. Learn. Teach. Grow.
Although sometimes I think that I know quite a lot, there have been so many times when I have been humbled because of the actions of someone else. As I watch those around me, I can't help but be amazed at how many smart, kind people there are in this world. Nobody is perfect. We all have different strengths and weaknesses and we can definitely learn from people of all ages!
ReplyDeleteThis was a great talk and really gave lots of insights. I liked starting out with this because it gave me the right perspective and attitude on how to approach life. Great talk.
ReplyDelete