Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Gratitude: Giving, Showing, and Receiving

     Thanks. Thank you. Gracias. Danke. Merci. Thanks eh(Sorry to all Canadians and Canadian lovers. I couldn't think of a better way to distinguish between American and Canadian). Domo Arigato. These are all phrases we use to express our gratitude. Words: not the only words, but very popular ones.
     Gratitude: a simple word with simple implications.
----
     I thought I'd let you know that it's been a few weeks since I started writing this. Upon further review, I have decided that "gratitude" might not be such a simple word.
    Giving gratitude. This is probably the easiest and most overlooked. It's easy to say one is grateful and give a curt "thanks" when somebody does something nice. When you are saying that thanks, are you saying it because you really are grateful that somebody did something gratifying or are you just saying it out of habit? I know that 98 out of 100 times it is the first and not the second. I wish I could say that was true for me. Personally, it is probably closer to 90 out of 100. There are just some times when I'm not paying enough attention to anything and I just throw it out there. It is important to say thank you. It helps those that are serving you know that you care.
      Showing gratitude. Why did I separate this from giving gratitude? Because I feel it is a little bit different. I feel that giving gratitude is a sign of thanksgiving to the servant. Showing gratitude is reciprocating this kindness that was shown to you to others. If you felt good because somebody served you, help others feel good by serving them. Sometimes when the acts of service are larger than what seem normal we say things like "How can I ever repay you?" and stuff like that. The best way to repay them is to go and serve others and give them the good feeling of being served.
      Receiving gratitude. This is where I fall shortest. Earlier I said it is important to say thank you so that the servant knows that you care that they served you, but I am quite the opposite. I don't care too much for the recognition. If somebody does recognize your service, it is important to acknowledge their recognition with something like "you're welcome" or "my pleasure". It may seem like this could become an endless cycle, but this is where it ends. Know that you did something good for somebody and know that they are glad that you did it. Be happy and go help someone else now.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with Mark. Also, a little offended by the Canadian remark ;) Kidding, that was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the insights as well.. sometimes I get caught up in my own life I forget to thank others and receive it as well. Really liked this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed that I do exactly what you were talking about a lot of the time--I say thanks, but I don't really think about what I'm saying when I do it. Not to get too spiritual on you, but I noticed it mostly in my prayers. I express gratitude for a lot of blessings in my life, but I wonder if I really mean it. Thanks for helping me refocus my efforts to truly be grateful for what I have been given!

    ReplyDelete