Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Perseverance Through the Downs and Downs of Life

Oh boy! Could I tell you stories about this one! I'll definitely share a few because I like them.
Some times are harder than other times. Other times are harder than those some times. It seems like the grass is greener on the other side 98.36545% of the time. Despite all of this hard stuff, life is good! It gets better! It might not seem like it, but life will improve! It might not happen tomorrow; it might not happen next year. Who knows? Maybe it might not even happen for the next twenty or forty years. It still gets better! Don't give up because you didn't get your way this time or the time before.-Alright, I've dragged this on long enough! Story time! I do apologize, this will be very Sorencentric because I've got some actual personal stories to tell.
     A few weeks ago I had a friend taking a test in the Testing Center here at BYU. Friends can leave notes and treats for those taking tests near the exit because everybody goes one way. My roommate and I decided to leave a note and some KitKats because she likes KitKats. We get to the TC hoping that there are KitKats in the vending machine, and lo and behold: There weren't any! We ran over to the next building checking those vending machines with no luck. I decided to hop on my bike and ride it across campus to the 'grocery store' to get these KitKats because they were that important. As I rode back to the TC pedaling my heart out, I hit a little bump and my chain fell off! I immediately got off the bike and proceeded to run[in retrospect it probably would have been faster to put the chain back on and continue riding] the KitKats down to the Testing Center! I made it there in time. The friend got the notes and the KitKats.
Through this story I get to say I, literally, hit a bump in the rode. I didn't stop though! I didn't let it get me down! I just kept on trekking and that is the advice I give to you! Keep on trekking!     
     That wasn't may only story! I'll share just one more because this is running longer than I wanted it to. As those of you who have met me know I've got a little issue with the right side of my face. I was born with nerve damage in my face and, as a result of this, ...have the beautiful smile I have. At times it slurs my speech, and I'm probably legally blind in my right eye.
I don't know how best to relate this, mainly because it has been a 'problem' my entire life. I've lived with it forever and so I've adapted to it. It's not an issue for me except when I meet a new person, and even then it's a great way to keep a conversation going!
    I don't know if I can stress this enough. Life can be hard. It wouldn't be an adventure or a learning experience if it weren't for these hard times. We need to push through them because we can. Giving up is easy. Anybody can give up. It takes a champion to say: I'll fight to the end. Be that champion that I know you are if you are reading this.

4 comments:

  1. Soren!! That was definitely something that I needed to hear right now! I forget how easy it is at times to just want to give up, thanks for the reassurance that I truly can make it over the hardships that are frequently dropped right in front of me. I enjoyed your personal stories and totally agree that you have a beautiful smile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was inspirational, to say the least. I'm glad (as well as really jealous) that you have so much resolve to keep going when life gets tough. I also agree with your statement that "giving up is easy." Sometimes, especially in college, I just want to lie down and give up! Thank you for your encouragement and awesome example that show me it's worth it to keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life can be hard, but the hardships and trials are what make us stronger. I like your examples. Sometimes it's easier to just give in but you're right we need to keep on going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Downs and Downs.....and Downs.... Unfortuantely life doesn't like you succeeding. But our Heavenly Father does. Way to be bud, way to be.

    ReplyDelete