Tuesday, November 8, 2011

"Sand, it's everywhere. Get used to it." -Genie, Aladdin and the King of Thieves

Almost every trip to the beach you go on, sand ends up everywhere! You don't want it too, but it does regardless of how hard you try(unless of course you are someone like me that doesn't go into the water because your weird or something like that.....). That's as far as this sand analogy is going. What am I trying to relate sand to? Losing. Unfortunately we can't all be Charlie Sheen, so we can't all be "winning" all the time. We lose. Losing is inevitable. There will always be somebody better(unless you actually are better than the other 14 billion people on the earth-in which case, congratulations!).
     Why am I talking about losing? Well, I've just recently started playing chess again. I started out playing a level 3 computer, and I was doing well. I beat it the majority of the time. I decided to move on to a level 4 computer. My winning percentage is 17%. I'm 3-15. This last game was the absolute worst. The queen took out more than half of my pieces before I even managed to take one of their pawns. It was absolutely pathetic. By the end of the game I had lost all of my pieces and only knocked out the queen and that pawn. It was absolutely irrevocably ridiculous! Needless to say, I was a tad bit upset with myself. As you can tell, through my posting this blog no serious damage was inflicted to anything that matters.
     This past week my ultimate frisbee team lost also. It wasn't a bad loss. It was close, but we still lost. This lost came in the second round of tournament play after I had "scouted out" the other team and determined them to not be that good(shows how much I know...).
     Some losses are harder than others, but there will almost always be losses. The best way to deal with these losses is to accept that they will happen, and then move on, improving so that next time they aren't so bad.
I apologize if I sound callous and a tad bit unfeeling. This blog is more targeted at myself than it is at others. I'm trying to share experience, when I have very little. blah blah blah rant rant rant THE END

5 comments:

  1. I love that you quoted King of Thieves. I mean, losing sucks a lot and i'm sorry you've been losing some things (if it helps, I keep losing too! :D), but don't things like Aladdin make everything better? I like to think so. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah keeping a positive attitude is always the best

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't losing just fantastic? We get to make mistakes, recognize those mistakes, see where we can improve, make those changes, and hope we do better the next time. I wish I could lose all the time!

    I'm kidding. But you're absolutely right--losing still happens whether we like it or not! So that's what I try to keep telling myself: Losing is always a great learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not going to lie... I laughed a little reading this. Losing is a part of life you're absolutely right. That's one thing I really learned from baseball. It's a game of failure and if you don't know how to fail then you can't know how to win. Chess is sick but the computers are unreal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to lose bud! Welcome to the real world! It SUCKS! Hahaha, nah, if you keep trying, I'm sure you'll eventually win!

    ReplyDelete